Texas shelters euthanized more animals than any other state in 2021.
This is the fate that awaits tens of thousands of animals if taken in by Texas shelters, but you can change that.
Check out your county's kill statistics by clicking on your county on this interactive kill statistics map published by bestfriends.org
Check out any state's shelter statistics.
Shelters are not the problem, the public is the problem.
Says the Texas Department of Health And Safety.
“…Understand that you are not responsible for the death of these animals. You are responding to a public that allows random pet breeding and irresponsible pet ownership.”
– Texas Dept of Health And Safety Training Literature
While the statement above does not apply to me nor most of you reading this, but it does apply to those who are creating the animal overpopulation problems that the rest of us are seeking to resolve.
Please be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
Be a responsible pet owner and be a vocal advocate for animals who are neglected, abused, abandoned, dumped, or born homeless or orphaned.
Please be part of the solution rather than part of the problem stated by the Texas Department of Health and Safety.
- Pledge $ to save a death row animal in a shelter
- Donate $ to a rescue
- Foster an animal for a rescue.
- Volunteer for a rescue
- Contribute to those who work tirelessly to help save Texas cats' lives.
- Spay & Neuter your pets
- Sponsor a spay & neuter for a neighbor or friend
- Support Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) in your community
- Donate to a Spay It Forward campaign
- If you feed strays, it is critical that you also arrange to have them spayed or neutered. Seek out whatever help or financial support you need to do it. If you do not, then your good intentions are actually contributing to the overpopulation problem and resulting in more cat deaths.
- Immediately report animal neglect, cruelty, or abuse to the proper authorities. Request they perform a welfare check on the animal at risk and follow up to confirm they did. Phone numbers for reporting are listed in this article.
Report Neglect or Abuse
- Sign this petition for Henderson, Texas, and Rusk County supporting vigorous enforcement of animal cruelty laws.